Fellowship in Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery
Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India (OSSI) is conducting a 1 year clinical fellowship program in Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (FMBS). The fellowship committee has brought about an extensive and well structured syllabus. All those members and non-members including international surgeons who fulfil the guidelines and criteria laid down by the fellowship committee will be eligible to apply for the fellowship program. However, non-members have to complete the membership formalities before applying for FMBS.
All certified "Center of Excellence" hospitals will be running one year clinical fellowship program every year. One eligible candidate’s application will be forwarded to the respective participating hospital before the end of March every year. Once cleared, the candidate will be completing the course as per the core curriculum. The candidate is expected to read and follow the guidelines below and submit all required documents online at the end of the term. Successful fellows will be felicitated during the following annual OSSICON after the board’s clearance.
|Sl.No.||Participating Hospital||City||Program Director|
|1||AASTHA BARIATRICS||Mumbai||Dr Manish Motwani|
|2||APOLLO HOSPITALS||Chennai||Prof Raj Palaniappan|
|3||ASIAN BARAITRICS||Ahmedabad||Dr Mahendra Narwaria|
|4||ASTER CMI HOSPITAL||Bangalore||HV Shivaram|
|5||BELLE VUE CLINIC||Kolkata||Dr Sarfaraz Baig|
|6||Belle vue Clinic||Kolkata||Dr Sarfaraz Baig|
|7||CONTINENTAL HOSPITALS||Hyderabad||Dr Mahidhar Valeti|
|8||FORTIS FLT.LT.RAJAN DHALL HOSPITAL||New Delhi||Dr Randeep Wadhawan|
|9||GEM HOSPITAL||Coimbatore||Dr Praveen Raj Palanivelu|
|10||ILS HOSPITALS, KOLKATA||Kolkata||Dr Om Tantia|
|11||INSTITUTION||Bangalore||Mr. Baskar ARUMUGAM|
|12||JAMMU HOSPITAL||Jalandhar||Dr Gurvinder jammu|
|13||K D HOSPITAL||Ahmedabad||Dr. Manish Khaitan|
|14||KULAR HOSPITAL||Ludhiana||Dr Kuldeepak Singh Kular|
|15||MANIPAL HOSPITAL||New Delhi||Dr Arun Prasad|
|16||MAX SUPER SPECIALITY HOSPITAL||New Delhi||Dr Pradeep Chowbey|
|17||VIRINCHI HOSPITALS||Hyderabad||Dr Surendra Ugale|
|18||WOCKHARDT HOSPITAL||Mumbai||Dr Ramen Goel|
Core Curriculum for FMBS
I. COGNITIVE EXPERIENCE
It is expected that the fellow In additon to the clinical and technical experience detailed below, will also participate in non-clinical educational endeavours. These actvites must be documented and validated by the Program Director.
A. Didactic Educational Sessions
The fellow must document that they participated in at least 80% of meetings.Online Sign-Off Sheet can be used for this required documentation.The didactic sessions may include ASMBS textbook of bariatric - Volume 1 & 2 review sessions, journal clubs, peer-review conferences, and resident teaching rounds. The following topics must be covered during the fellowship:
- 1. Epidemiology of Obesity
- 2. History of Bariatric Surgery
- 3. Physiology and Interactive Mechanisms in Morbid Obesity
- 4. Preoperative Evaluation of the Bariatric Patient
- 5. Psychology of the Morbidly Obese Patient
- 6. Essentials of a Bariatric Program
- 7. Preoperative Management of the Bariatric Patient
- 8. Laparoscopic Vs Robotic Vs Reduced Port / SILS Techniques
- 9. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- 10. Other Restrictve Operations
- 11. Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass
- 12. One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass
- 13. Other Malabsorptive Surgeries
- 14. Revisional Weight Loss Surgery
- 15. Managing Intraoperative and Postoperative Complications
- 16. Nutritional Considerations & Deficiencies
- 17. Obesity in Childhood and Adolescence
- 18. Outcomes of Bariatric Surgery
- 19. Role of Endoscopy in Bariatric Surgery
- 20. Documentation and Scientific writing
- 21. ERAS in Bariatric Surgery
- 22. Bariatric Emergencies
- 23. Special Considerations ( GERD, NASH, Hernia, etc)
Click here to purchase ASMBS Textbook of Bariatric Surgery - Volume I (https://www.springer.com/in/book/9781493912056)
Click here to purchase ASMBS Textbook of Bariatric Surgery - Volume II (https://www.springer.com/in/book/9781493911967)
B. Audit Meeting Requirements
Fellows are expected to participate in at least quarterly morbidity and mortality,including quality improvement and peri-operative management meets. Participation must be documented.
C. Research Requirements
Fellows are expected to conduct research and are expected to complete at least one clinical and/or research project during the fellowship and submitted to FMBS project director. The research project need to be presented in the OSSI national conference OSSICON or accepted for publication in the journal to which it will be submitted.
D. Multidisciplinary Requirements
Fellows are expected to participate in regular bariatric multidisciplinary meets. They also must attend OSSICON during their fellowship tenure and at least one patient support group and one patient educational seminar every quarter.
II. CLINICAL AND TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE
Fellows in the department are required to provide outstanding evidence based clinical care to bariatric patients while advancing the future of medicine through innovative research.
A. Surgical Operation Requirements
In order to meet the designation of comprehensive training, fellows must be exposed to more than one type of weight loss operation and participate in at least 50 weight loss operations. The fellow should have assumed the role of primary surgeon in at least 10% of cases, defined as having performed the key components of the operation.
There should be a minimum of 10 intestinal bypass operations (Roux – En-Y gastric bypass or One Anastomosis Gastric Bypass / other bypasses); a combined total of at least 10 Restrictive operations (sleeve gastrectomy and/or restrictive procedures);5 revisional procedures or complications; and exposure to and/or extensive teaching of bariatric-specific emergency procedures (leaks, bowel obstructions, internal hernias, intussusceptins, gastrointestinal haemorrhage and ulcers), as deemed adequate by the program director to establish competence in managing these complications. Fellows should also have an exposure to endoscopy ( attested by the Gastroenterology Consultant).
B. Evaluation Requirements
The fellow will participate in 25 patient preoperative evaluations, 25 postoperative in-patient management encounters, and 50 postoperative outpatient evaluations. All the evaluation requirement must be documented.
C. Performance Assessment Synopsis
The Program Director will be responsible for conducting at least 2 fellow performance assessment interviews ( theory & clinical) and provide the FMBS committee with outcome of the meeting.
III. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Post MS / DNB General Surgery candidate with at least 2 years experience having sufficient skills in basic and intermediate laparoscopic surgery including fundoplication, herniaoplasty and stapled bowel anastomosis.
- Post MCh / DNB GI surgery having sufficient experience and skills in basic and intermediate laparoscopic surgery including fundoplication, herniaoplasty and stapled bowel anastomosis.
- International Fellow – Completion of the post graduation training in Upper GI Surgery having sufficient skills in basic and intermediate laparoscopic surgery including fundoplication, herniaoplasty and stapled bowel anastomosis.
- A fully completed application form with all necessary documents attached
- Candidate must be a member of OSSI (Not a member yet, click here to apply).
IV. FELLOWSHIP GUIDELINES
- All certified "Center of Excellence" hospitals will be running one year clinical fellowship program every year.
- A fully completed application form along with supporting documents of adequate qualification and experience to be submitted online.
- Candidates will be applying with 2 choices of available centres. Once cleared, the candidate will be completing the course as per the core curriculum.
- The candidate is expected to submit his logbook online at regular intervals with monthly assessment of the program director. After the completion of the course, the FMBS committee will be assessing the logbook for final approval.
- The candidate will also be submisng his literature review and research articles online by the end of the deadline after assessment from the project director.
- Successful candidates will be felicitated during the annual OSSICON
V. FELLOWSHIP PERIOD
- A typical fellowship will be for one year duration. The announcement of candidate will be latest by 30 March for that calendar year
- The fellowship course will commence from 1st April - 31st March of the following year. A period of 15 days grace period will be allowed for candidate provided a valid reason has been intimated to the program director duly by email or post.
- A grace period of three months will be given for completion of any pending requirements if any additional correction is requested by the examiners after submission. The FMBS committee should be able to access the fellow’s completed logbook and the final online evaluation sheets from the participating hospital no later than three months from the completion of the term.
- Examination will be held in the fourth quarter of the course period during annual conference OSSICON, and the exact date will be announced 3 months in advance.
- Examination will attract a fee structure which needs to be paid during examination application process once the dates are announced.
VII. FEE STRUCTURE
- The fellowship will not attract any admission fee. However a non-refundable examination fees of Rs.25000 will be levied while applying for the examination.
- Repeat candidates need to re-apply for examination once the fellowship board approves his / her reappearance.
- The candidate will be withdrawing a minimum stipend of Rs. 60,000 per month during the course period.
- All other expenses related to stationaries, accommodation, food, travel and conferences will be borne by the candidate themselves.
For further queries and information, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Last date for submission of application||25 March 2019|
|Announcement of results||30 March 2019|
|Course Commences||1 April 2019|
|Last date to choose literature review topic||1 May 2019|
|Last date to chose thesis topic||1 May 2019|
|Last date for submission of literature review||30 Sep 2019|
|Thesis abstract presentation||28 Feb 2020|
|Final Examination||29 Feb 2020|
|Last date for submission of thesis||15 March 2020|
|Course Ends||31 March 2020|
|Re-submission after corrections||15 June 2020|
|Arrear examination||14 June 2020|
|Results||1 July 2020|
|Graduation ceremony||OSSICON 2021|
For further queries and information, write to: email@example.com